Good health care is key to a good life. At Banner Health, we understand that, and that's why we work hard every day to make a difference in people's lives. Do you like the idea of making a positive change in people's lives - and your own? If so, this could be the perfect opportunity for you.
The Operating Room (OR) has 10 suites. We care for a wide range of adult patients that require both elective and add-on emergent surgical procedures. We also provide surgical services to meet our level 3 trauma designation at BBMC. Our surgical service lines consist of the following specialties; heavy focus in orthopedics, general surgery and urology. We also provide services for plastics, OB/GYN, robotics, spines, and dentistry. We staff 24 hours Monday-Friday and have a 12 hour shift on Saturday and Sunday. Staff are required to take call in addition to regular scheduled shifts to meet the demands of our patient load.
As a Surgery Scheduler, you will bring your experience and passion for health care to our Surgery department! This position is full time weekend day-shift, 32 hours/week Friday-Monday 7am-3:30pm, with holiday and call requirements. Enjoy a flat rate $1/hour weekend shift differential.
Banner Baywood Medical Center is a 332-bed hospital serving the health care needs of the dynamic and growing East Valley communities of metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona. We provide complete acute care services including cancer, stroke, women's health, rehabilitation, emergency medicine and surgery. In addition, our orthopedic unit has earned repeated recognition as having one of the Top 100 Orthopaedic Programs in the U.S. by The Health Network and HCIA, Inc.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for scheduling surgical, cardiovascular or obstetrical procedures using a computerized scheduling system. The position is also responsible for entering patient charges, orders, and other pertinent information into the system and compiling and reporting statistical information to management. The incumbent may act as an office liaison for department staff, physicians, and patient families.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Coordinates case times for elective, urgent or emergent surgeries, cardiovascular or obstetrical procedures in a computerized scheduling system. Verifies and reviews physician privilege status prior to scheduling. Interfaces with medical staff office to maintain log of current privilege status and maintains confidentially of all information. May acquire and maintain physician preference information and staff roster.
2. Acquires authorization numbers, History and Physicals, results of laboratory tests and verifies that they are current. Orders previous medical records for the day of the procedure, when necessary.
3. Types and prints physician orders for multiple physicians and departments. Schedules and maintains physician block time, and block time releases.
4. Enters physician's orders for lab, blood bank, medical imaging, and cardiology. Enters results of diagnostic tests, patient registration information and patient charges. Compiles data and prepares statistical reports for management.
5. Conducts charge management audits for assigned area. Reconciles charge packet information with the audit. Identifies missed or incorrect charges and corrects when appropriate.
6. Acts as a receptionist to assigned unit; answers phones, relays message. Greets and directs patients, visitors, physicians, and families and answers questions about policies and procedures. Acts as a liaison among nursing units, physician and staff to relay patient data. Screens requests for patient information and refers to appropriate staff. Records and types minutes of staff meetings, when required. Prepares and distributes staff call roster each month.
7. Enters facility work orders and supply orders when required by assigned department. Requests repairs/maintenance for business machines in the department. Arranges for pickup and delivery of instruments and equipment and completes all necessary paperwork.
8. This position has responsibility for scheduling surgeries and procedures and maintaining a smooth workflow in the area. Must be able to work with minimal supervision, under stressful situations, set priorities and maintain highly confidential information.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Requires skills and abilities typically attained with 2 years of medical clerical experience; preferably in a hospital central scheduling or physician office scheduling setting. Knowledge of medical terminology is required. Also requires knowledge of payor contract terms and processes. Must possess excellent organizational skills, as well as effective human relations and communication skills. Requires effective teamworking skills and the ability to meet deadlines and productivity standards.
The position requires knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software and the ability to use computerized scheduling systems. Must possess the ability to maintain accurate statistical records, gather data, and produce reports.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.