Medical Assistant - Orthopedics - New Rates of Pay & $2,000 Sign On Bonus!
Akron Children's Hospital
Location: Akron, Ohio
Internal Number: 8556
About Akron Children's Hospital
Akron Children's Hospital has been caring for children since 1890, and our pediatric specialties are ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report. With two hospital campuses, regional health centers and more than 50 primary and specialty care locations throughout Ohio, we're making it easier for today's busy families to find the high-quality care they need. In 2020, our health care system provided more than 1.1 million patient encounters. We also operate neonatal and pediatric units in the hospitals of our regional health care partners. Every year, our Children's Home Care Group nurses provide thousands of in-home visits, and our School Health nurses manage clinic visits for students from preschool through high school. With our Quick Care Online virtual visits and Akron Children's Anywhere app, we're here for families whenever and wherever they need us. Learn more at akronchildrens.org .
To treat every child as we would our own
To treat others as they would like to be treated
To turn no child away for any reason
Prior to the start date, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. Full vaccination is defined as 14 days after the last received vaccination. Boosters are excluded from this requirement.
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
New Rates of Pay & $2,000 Sign On Bonus!
Summary : The Medical Assistant assists in delivering individual care for a group of patients under the supervision of a licensed nurse.
Responsibilities : 1. The Medical Assistant actively interfaces with patients and families of Akron Children's Hospital Pediatric offices.
2. Assists in patient / family education within their own capabilities and under the direction of a licensed nurse.
3. Collects data that contributes to the assessment and evaluation of individualized care and needs of assigned patients, including discharge plans, under the direction of the licensed nurse.
4. Provides direct care (i.e.-vital signs, transporting to other departments) or other care to patients according to Hospital policy and procedure as delegated by and under the supervision of the licensed nurse.
5. Accurately communicates patient findings and pertinent information to the licensed nurse utilizing appropriate communication/documentation processes (e.g. SBAR) and reports patient complaints and/or signs of distress/pain promptly to the nurse responsible for the patient.
6. Able to prioritize and execute tasks for the assigned patients in a timely and efficient manner under the direction of the licensed nurse.
7. Documentation of care within the EPIC system will be completed in a precise, accurate manner abiding by established guidelines for charting.
8. Follows safety policies and procedures in the delivery of care to assure a safe environment for patients, families and other staff members.
9. Accurately collects, processes and submits laboratory specimens and may perform phlebotomy.
10. Completes all assignments during scheduled working hours.
11. Participates in the educational offerings of the department and/or nursing unit.
12. Medical Assistant may be temporarily assigned to an area throughout Akron Children's Hospital, based on patient needs requiring similar knowledge and skill.
13. Other duties as required.
Experience in phlebotomy is preferred.
Knowledge of and experience in medical terminology is required.
Experience working in a healthcare environment is preferred.
Experience working in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word) or similar software is required.
Experience working in electronic medical record (i.e. EPIC) or similar software is preferred.
Education and Experience
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent is required
Completion of an approved Medical Assistant Program, or EMT Program, or Paramedic Program required or must be a Medical Assistant with certification.
Certification: Basic Life Support (BLS) training from the American Heart Association is required
Phlebotomy certification is preferred.
Years of relevant experience: Minimum one (1) year of experience is preferred.
Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: